Instructions for Students

Who Arranges Placements? Practicum Placements that qualify for entry to practice are those that receive credit from a post-secondary educational institution. The post-secondary institution coordinates each registered students placement. ATRA does not coordinate practicum placements. Volunteer and or work experience are not substitutes for practicum placement hours.

Verify your Preceptors Qualifications

It is the post-secondary institution and / or the student's responsibility to confirm that a potential preceptor has current Professional membership status with ATRA.  Please refer to the Member Verification page.  If the member name you are seeking does not appear, please email who will double check membership status. 

  • Placements within Alberta: The Recreation Therapist(s) Preceptor must be a current ATRA Professional Member.
  • Placements outside of Alberta: The Recreation Therapist(s) Preceptor must be a current professional member of their provincial therapeutic recreation association or have current CTRS credentials.

After Graduation

When you have graduated from your therapeutic recreation post-secondary program you can then apply as a New Applicant for Professional Membership.