ATRA and the Alberta based post-secondary programs listed below work closely to align course curriculum and ATRA's Professional Membership Academic Pathway.
Planning to study Therapeutic Recreation in Alberta?
You have several choices as you start on your journey to become an ATRA Professional Member.
- Therapeutic Recreation Diploma (degree-transfer) + Post-Diploma Bachelor of Therapeutic Recreation
Effective April 1, 2021 ATRA requires applicants for Professional Membership to have a specified degree to enter practice.
Norquest College Therapeutic Recreation (On-campus or online)
Lethbridge College Therapeutic Recreation – Gerontology (On-campus, online or blended)
(Note: diploma in rehabilitation assistant does not meet equivalency for a TR Diploma)
University of Lethbridge Post-Diploma Therapeutic Recreation (On-campus or online)
- University of Alberta BA in Recreation, Sport and Tourism Degree Program
- University of Lethbridge Therapeutic Recreation After-Degree
- For graduates of an allied health degree in another discipline (e.g., kinesiology, physical education, adapted physical education, community rehabilitation, psychology)
- If you are unsure if a program from outside Alberta will meet ATRA Professional Membership, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.