ATRA and the Alberta based post-secondary programs listed below work closely to align course curriculum and ATRA's Professional Membership Academic Pathway.
Planning to study Therapeutic Recreation in Alberta?
You have several choices as you start on your journey to become an ATRA Professional Member.
Therapeutic Recreation Diploma (degree-transfer) + Post-Diploma Bachelor of Therapeutic Recreation
1. Norquest College Therapeutic Recreation (On-campus or online)
2. Lethbridge College Therapeutic Recreation – Gerontology (On-campus, online or blended)
(Note: diploma in rehabilitation assistant does not meet equivalency for a TR Diploma)
3. University of Lethbridge Post-Diploma Therapeutic Recreation (On-campus or online) and the
4. University of Lethbridge Therapeutic Recreation After-Degree
- For graduates of an allied health degree in another discipline (e.g., kinesiology, physical education, adapted physical education, community rehabilitation, psychology)
If you are certified under the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification, see Pathways to ATRA Professional Membership, Pathway 2. Certification Track
Note: Degree titles not accepted: Recreation and Sport, Management or Tourism (without an emphasis / minor in therapeutic recreation); kinesiology, physical education, adapted physical education, community rehabilitation or rehabilitation assistant.
Educational Institutions across Canada offering Therapeutic Recreation Programs
- If you are unsure if a program from outside Alberta will meet ATRA Professional Membership, contact email@example.com.
American Therapeutic Recreation Association