Select your Membership Category
Since 1985, ATRA has represented the profession of Recreation Therapy in the province of Alberta. ATRA supports our members to deliver competent, safe and ethical health care service to Albertans. If you are practicing, managing, instructing, enrolled as a therapeutic recreation student or would like to support the profession, ATRA welcomes your application for membership.
ATRA's Membership Categories are progressive in nature and do not include options to return to a previous membership category.
- Student Member advances to Professional or Supporting Member.
- Professional or Supporting Members advance to Alumni Membership (optional).
For example, an Alumni member cannot elect to change their membership category to a professional or supporting or student membership. A Professional or Supporting member cannot return to being a student member.
Applicants to the Alberta Therapeutic Recreation Association can select from the following membership categories:
Apply for this category if you meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Applicant is enrolled in a diploma, degree or post degree program in therapeutic recreation, recreation therapy, recreation, and leisure studies (emphasis / minor in therapeutic recreation) to meet ATRA Entry to Practice criteria.
- Applicant is not currently or have previously been approved for professional or supporting membership.
Apply for this category if you are a new graduate, new to ATRA, CTRS designate, currently practicing, supervising, teaching or returning to practice after a Leave of Absence (LOA) of 3 consecutive years or more and who meet academic and clinical placement requirements.
Apply for this category if you have completed a therapeutic recreation diploma and will not be pursuing a degree program to meet Professional Membership, and no longer meeting Student membership criteria and want to maintain support for the objectives of the TR profession.
Apply for this category if you are currently a Professional or Supporting member and meet the following requirements:
- retiring from practice within the membership year. (If you continue to work casually, please retain your professional or supporting membership).
- moved from Alberta but wish to maintain support for the objectives of the TR profession in Alberta
- do not apply for this category if you are not currently working in the TR Field but intend to return to TR employment. Your options are to renew as a Professional or Supporting Member or let your membership lapse. See information in the Return to Practice Pathway.
Membership applications may be deferred, refused or conditions imposed if the renewal applicant does not meet membership criteria.