Student Member Qualifications and Fine Print
- Student Member Qualifications: This category is for individuals who are enrolled in a diploma, degree or post degree program in therapeutic recreation, recreation therapy, recreation, and leisure studies (emphasis / minor in therapeutic recreation) to meet ATRA Entry to Practice criteria. (Definition passed by motion at the ATRA Directors meeting, November 20, 2021).
- Criteria: https://www.alberta-tr.ca/membership-applications-and-renewals/select-your-membership-category/. Provision of Student Identification provided by the educational institution.
- Membership may be deferred, refused or conditions imposed if the applicant does not meet membership criteria.
- Exclusion: Professional Members that remain employed to provide recreation therapy services within the current membership year are not eligible to transfer their current membership to Student Membership status.
- Membership Fees: Application and Renewal fees for Student Membership is $50.00 + GST for a full [April 1 – March 31] or partial membership year.
- Application Prorated and Rebate Fee Schedule: Students may apply for membership at any time throughout the year. Prorated fees are not available for new applicants for Student Membership.
- Membership Termination: Student Members may terminate their membership with ATRA at any time, preferably with notice to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Members are not eligible for a rebate of any portion of membership fees at time of membership termination.
- Membership Renewal: Payment of the membership fee shall be due by the first day of each membership year (ATRA Bylaws. p.6). ATRA’s Membership Year is April 1 and ends March 31 of each year. ATRA’s Member Renewal Period is February 1 – March 31 of each year.
- Late Renewal Fees: Student Member do not incur a late renewal fee. If a student has an expired membership, they will become ineligible for the Graduating Student Member Benefit. https://www.alberta-tr.ca/membership-applications-and-renewals/membership-renewals/fee-schedule/
- Rights and Benefits of this Membership Category: Student Members do not serve as Directors or vote for Directors, Bylaw amendments, professional issues, or serve on Professional Advancement Committees.
- Student Members are eligible to vote for their Chapter Student Representative. Students are not eligible to apply for the Economic Hardship Fee Waiver Program.
- Benefits include, but are not limited to, bursary programs, standardized clinical placement requirements, and access to professional guiding
- CTRA Joint Membership Agreement: Through this agreement, ATRA Student Members are entitled to a complimentary CTRA Student Membership. No additional fees other than full payment of ATRA fees are charged. You must check the box for CTRA Membership to activate this benefit.
- ATRA’s Continuing Competence Program: Students are not required to participate in ATRA’s Continuing Competence Program.
- Member Category Transition: Student Members transitioning to Professional or Supporting Membership within the current membership year do not pay additional fees for the months remaining in the current membership year as a Professional Member (See APPENDIX A & B).
- Withdrawal: If any member is in arrears for fees or assessments for any year or who ceases to meet any other criteria for membership, such members shall be automatically suspended at the expiration of thirty (30) days from the end of such year and shall thereafter be entitled to no membership privileges or powers in the Association until reinstated.
- Expulsion: Any member may be expelled from the Association for any cause that the Association may deem reasonable upon a two-thirds (2/3) vote of a meeting of the members of the Association.
- Appeal: Anyone who is denied membership in the Association may appeal to the Board who may then admit or deny admission to the applicant.