Protecting the public
ATRA is the professional governing body for the Therapeutic Recreation health profession in Alberta
It operatives under the Alberta Societies Act and is in application to be regulated under the Health Professions Act, the associations purpose is to: protect the public; protect the integrity of the recreation therapy profession; promote and increase the competence of members.
The association protects the public interest by:
- Setting education and practicum standards to become a professional recreation therapist.
- setting high professional and ethical standards;
- promoting and increasing competence of members by providing a comprehensive program of learning opportunities;
- assessing the continuing competency of members.
The following documents guide the professional therapeutic recreation practice to protect the public interest
click on title to open document
- Code of Ethics (2021)
- Standard of Practice Maintaining Professional Boundaries and Preventing Sexual Abuse (2020)
- Risk to the Public (2013)
- Competency Profile (2012)
- Guidelines for Assignment to Assistants & Aides (2021)