Member Vote YES to add Alumni Category and change Supporting Member Category
ATRA Professional Members cast their votes between November 15 - December 7, 2020. The results indicate a strong agreement to Member Category amendments.
- 216 members voted. 90.74% voted yes to create a new membership category. This membership category will be titled Alumni Membership. This category will be for professional members who have retired from practice and/or moved out of Alberta and want to maintain support for the objectives of the profession in Alberta.
- 219 members voted. 97.72% voted yes to Change the criteria for the existing Supporting Member Effective April 1, 2021, this category will be for therapeutic recreation diploma graduates who will not be pursuing degree Entry to Practice to meet Professional Membership, no longer meet Student Member criteria and want to maintain support for the objectives of the profession in Alberta.
Implications of the Vote
- If you are a professional member as of April 2021, you will always remain housed under the Professional Member category unless you retire or move out of the province.
- In 2017, ATRA members voted in favour of degree Entry to Practice. This comes into effect as of April 2021. See Pathways to ATRA Professional Membership, Pathway #1 Academic.
- The Supporting Member category will no longer be used to house retirees or those taking time away from practice.
- After April 2021, Student Members will remain housed in the Student Member category until they complete degree Entry to Practice and meet Professional Member category criteria.
- Student Members who take a few months, up to one membership year, between completing their therapeutic recreation diploma and commencing a post-TR diploma degree will remain as Student Members.
- ATRA will work with all members on a case-by-case basis as we transition to degree Entry to Practice.
- ATRA recognizes that extenuating circumstances, especially COVID-19, has impacted many students currently completing the therapeutic recreation diploma by April 2021. ATRA will continue to work with impacted students on a case-by-case basis.